Over the years, I have come across many people who may not know what to do when hiring their first freelancer. I thought I’d give a quick list of what you should do when you are in need of creative services. When hiring a freelance Illustrator or Designer, it’s important to inquire about their services in the CORRECT way.
Below are some “DO’s & DON’T”‘S:
- State the kind of work you’re looking for. A few sentences of brief paragraph will work.
- Determine if a project is a personal or business commission.
- List a time frame or deadline.
- Ask to see a website if not listed.
- Offer a budget or ask their rate for specific services.
- Respect the artist’s boundaries when communicating.
- Say “I need work done ASAP” and not explain what you want
- Expect FREE WORK
- Expect us to read your mind
- Ask for rates if you don’t want to pay a freelancer
- Call or email during inconvenient times
- Hire a freelancer willing to do anything for low/no pay. You’ll get what you pay for.
Feel free to add more Do’s and Don’t’s in the comments section.